Monday, May 10, 2010

Watercolorist Rachel Parker





Everyone, it is a pleasure to call your attention to another local artist who recently caught my eye. Rachel Parker is a self taught artist who works primarily in watercolors. As a child, she was raised going to art lessons and watching her mother paint. She has been drawing since she was old enough to hold a pencil, and began painting in 2000.

Rachel works watercolor because she loves the sense of light this medium conveys. In all her paintings, she tries to make light the central theme. “Dramatic lighting can make a potato sack beautiful. Light is a life-giving force, and this is true in a painting as well – it breathes vitality and a sense of awe into the every day,” says Rachel.

Rachel's favorite subjects include horses, dogs, people, cats, wildlife and landscape. Her favorite project is an online photo contest she hosts on Facebook. Members of her group submit photos, and once a month they are allowed to vote on the best submissions. The winner gets their photo painted and a free print of the original. "This allows me to interact with my patrons in a more intimate way", says Rachel. "My patrons become part of my process in a very real way, and that adds so much to my art and my own enjoyment of painting". Prints of Rachel’s work and links to her Facebook group are available on www.rachelsstudio.com.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for featuring me Andy! Your blog is lovely!

    ReplyDelete